Paper Crafting Projects
Oversized Whale Gift Box
Oversized Whale Gift Box:
Size of paper needed to make the project: 16” x 20”
Approximate Crafting Time: 45 minutes to an hour
This whale box is too cute NOT to make! In just over an hour, you can have this little masterpiece, perfect for using as is or complete with a place to insert a baby shower gift.
- DCWV 16”x20” Premium Stack: Neutral Cardstock
- DCWV Whale Box Template
- Bone folder or scoring tool
- Hot glue and glue gun
- Blue tissue paper
- Using the template pieces cut two whale body shapes and two whale tail shapes.
- Score and fold on the dotted lines.
- Cut a slit in the whale tails as shown in the template. Slide one edge of the slit over the other slit on both tails and adhere in place. Place a wire between the two whale tails and adhere the tails together back to back. Bend the wire (and consequently, the paper) up slightly to create a curve in the tail.
- Put the whale together by taking the two whale body shapes and overlap the bases into a square shape, adding adhesive in the middle. Adhere the smaller flaps to the inside of the whale body
- Adhere the large square flap of the whale tail to the bottom of the whale body.
- Slide the spouts through the slits in the top of each whale body piece to close box. Embellish with blue tissue paper.
- Whether you add dots with a round sponge and acrylic paint, cover it in rhinestones, or use printed cardstock as the base, customize the whale to match the décor.
- The template can be reduced in sections to create a whale family or smaller-sized party favor boxes.